Sunday, October 27, 2013

SCOTCH STEW - I think this may be sinful...but, oh so worth it!

As a new feature going into my second year of blogging, I will be featuring other amazing cooks from my family and friends. My first guest recipe contributor is my brother-in-law, Ron Hertz. He's an accomplished cook, hunter, husband, father and proud member of our military. I can vouch for his food, (as I've eaten it) and his German Pancakes are to DIE for!!! That recipe is also listed on this blog if you happen to want to make something amazing for breakfast.   Hope you enjoy his recipe!



By: Ron Hertz
This is a recipe I made up after watching a segment of the Today Show featuring Beef Burgundy. The Meat is wild game (usually elk) but sometimes I put lamb in it, depending on the individuals eating. The first time I made it, I didn't get a chance to try it, because the kids ate it all. When I went to get some, all that was left was the smell. So, the next weekend I made more and ate it all myself, (over a couple days of course).

RON'S SCOTCH STEW




Ingredients:
2 Lbs Beef, Lamb, or Goat (cut into cubes) 4 Medium Potatoes (cubed) 2 Stalks Celery ½ Cup Onion (chopped) ¾ Cup Carrot (chopped) 3 Cups Milk ½ Cup Flour Salt and Pepper ¼ Cup Olive Oil 2 Cups Scotch ½ Tbsp Each of Thyme, Basil and Coriander 1 Tbsp Season Salt
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Put Flour and salt and pepper in a zip lock bag. Shake to mix. Add ¼ of the meat and shake until meat is covered. Repeat until all the meat is floured. In a soup pot, add the olive oil and bring to medium high heat. Put the meat in the hot oil to sear until lightly browned. Remove meat from soup pot and set aside. Reduce heat to medium and add scotch to make a rue, scraping the bottom of the pot until the bottom of the pot is clean. Add all the other ingredients and bring to a boil. Return meat to mix and stir. Cover stew and cook in oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes. Remove stew and let stand for 10 minutes before eating.
Makes 3-4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts. Would love to hear from you! Angela