I love zucchini, so I'm always trying to come up with different ways to fix it. This recipe is pretty amazing with the buttery goodness of the bread crumbs and melted cheese, what's not to like. If you would like a heartier version, you can add some breakfast sausage or bacon to it. Delicious either way. By the way, this one is about blunder proof (unless your burn it). Makes for a win in my book. Hope you like it too!
4 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
1 Tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon melted butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
1 medium vine-ripened tomato diced
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup breadcrumbs (to make your own, lightly toast 2 end pieces of bread, tear into smaller pieces and place in small food processor, pulse 3-4 times until bread is crumbly but not into powder).
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
*OPTIONAL - If you want to, you can add 8 oz of cooked and crumbled breakfast sausage or 6 strips of cooked bacon, chopped. Add the meat to the mixture in bowl and mix well, then spoon into zucchini boats. Bake as directed.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- With a teaspoon, scoop out the flesh from the interior of the zucchini, making a boat shape. Chop the zucchini flesh and set aside.
- Place the zucchini boats on an aluminum foil lined pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, add the olive oil or vegetable oil and let heat through. Add the garlic, onion, chopped zucchini flesh, tomatoes and some salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add the Parmesan, mozzarella, breadcrumbs and parsley; mix to combine.
- Spoon in the zucchini boats. Place in oven and bake until golden brown on top, approximately 18-22 minutes (depending on oven).