Saturday, November 3, 2012

How much do I love thee? Enough to make German Pancakes!

My husband LOVES German Pancakes!  This morning after 21 years of marriage, I made them for him for the FIRST time.  My late efforts in making one of his all time favorite foods does not mean that I don't love him dearly.  It just meant that I didn't want to look like an idiot when they turned out more like cement paving stones than the golden, light and heavenly bits of puffed pancakes that they're supposed to be.  I asked my brother-in-law for his recipe after seeing that he had made them for my sister-in-law last weekend.  Since my sweet sister-in-law is always posting about all the wonderful stuff he makes for her, I decided I couldn't be outdone.   A couple of years ago, when I got hooked on the Food Network, I had an epiphany.  I began thinking that cooking has much more to do with heart and soul than the ability to follow a recipe.  When you enjoy doing something, no matter what it is, the results seem to turn out better.  I have found this to be true in my new found exploration and joy in cooking.  I have been willing to try recipes out of my normal comfort zone (recipes that require more than 5 ingredients) and more often than not, they have come out pretty amazing.  The recipe for these German Pancakes is not difficult.  The hardest part is that it does require that you whisk the mixture for about 5 minutes.  As I was making these this morning, and I got to the part of whisking for 5 more minutes, I had to stop and get my KitchenAid mixer out.  I really do love my husband but standing there whisking this batter would make my arm fall off (although he thought I should do it by hand, if I really loved him).  Hey, small steps, right?  Anyway, this recipe is easy, although I do suggest using a hand mixer if you don't have a stand mixer.  Unless you're into working out, then this pancake recipe will help you build your biceps.

Until next time, enjoy life's beauties and laugh at the blunders, life is so much better that way.
German Pancakes



German Pancakes - courtesy of Ron Hertz
Ingredients:
4-6 Servings
6 eggs (Room Temperature)
1 cup milk
1 cup sifted bread flour or all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
5 tablespoons butter
1 lemon cut into wedges
Confectioners suger (Powdered Sugar)
  
2-4 Servings
3  eggs (Room Temperature)
½  cup milk
½  cup sifted bread flour or all purpose flour
1/8  teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
7 teaspoons butter
1 lemon cut into wedges

*Bread flour is a high protein flour which helps the pancake rise.  All-Purpose flour may be used but the results will NOT be as light and fluffy.

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.   (Note:  It is very important that you preheat you oven)  Make sure that oven rack is in the middle slot.  Place ovenproof skillet (Example: 10 inch iron skillet) in the oven to preheat.  While pan is heating prepare the batter.
  2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs until light and frothy.  ( I suggest using a hand mixer or stand mixer).  Add milk, flour, vanilla extract and cinnamon, and beat for 5 minutes more.  The batter will be thin but should be smooth and creamy.
  3. Using a pot holder, remove the skillet from the oven and add the butter to the skillet letting it melt.  Tilt skillet carefully to let butter coat the sides of the skillet. 
  4. Pour the prepared batter into the hot skillet all at one and immediately return the skillet to the oven.
  5. Bake approximately 20-25 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.  (Baked until the pancake puffs up around the edges – it may puff irregularly in the center).
  6. End of baking time
  7. Remove from oven and serve immediately.   (Once pancacke is out of the oven, the pancake will begin to deflate, this is normal).







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts. Would love to hear from you! Angela