Friday, March 8, 2013

Strawberry Crepes Delight

Well, I've gone and done it now!  I don't know what in the world I was thinking (obviously, I wasn't) but I purchased a whole flat of strawberries (that's 12 pints)!  The high school seniors were selling these flats of strawberries to raise money for Project Graduation and I am a softie when it comes to kids selling stuff.   Anyway, I have all these strawberries and now I have to do something with them.  Soooooo, after hours of thought, I decided to try my hand at making strawberry crepes.  I found a basic crepe recipe that didn't seem too difficult and got started.  I will admit that I had to throw away the first three because they were PITIFUL, but my perseverance paid off and I got 4 beautiful crepes.   Thankfully, I only needed three, so that worked out all right.  Once I got the hang of it, the rest went smoothly, but those first couple....well, they were just sad.  The filling is a breeze to make and once it's all put together, it looks fancy, smancy.  I know that smancy is not a real word, but it's FUN to say.   I still have 10 pints of strawberries left and I am going to attempt to make strawberry jam out of those but that post will be upcoming or not....I may chicken out.  We'll see.   Here's the Strawberry Crepes Delight recipe - hope you enjoy!
What was I thinking?


Basic Crepes
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons of melted butter

Directions
1.  In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and the eggs.  Gradually add in the milk and water, stirring to combine. Add the salt and butter;  whisk until smooth.
2.  Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat (I used butter).   Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
3.  Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side.   Serve warm.
(Makes 7- 8 crepes)

Filling for Crepes
1 8 ounce package of strawberry cream cheese
1 cup of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions
Cream all three ingredients together until smooth.  Spoon down center of crepe and cover with sliced strawberries, fold edges of crepe over and place seam side down.  Top with whipped cream and whole strawberries.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts. Would love to hear from you! Angela