Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Save Money - Make your own mixes!

Who doesn't like to save money out there?  As for me, I'm all about saving money.  Whether you are frugal because you have to be, or just because you want to be, or if you just want to be able to know what's in your food without all the added chemicals and fillers, then this post is for you!  I recently attended a class that focused on making your own convenience foods which is not only economical but it's kind of fun.  The class was provided through the University of Florida's local IFAS extension office.
Their website is http://washington.ifas.ufl.edu and they provide all kinds of educational classes (i.e. canning classes, food preparation, etc.).  I am posting three of my favorites from the class.  The brownie mix is a must have for our house.  I don't know if any of you have children like mine, but inevitably, I get the notice that she needs a dessert for something at school the next day.  This notice is usually given at night AFTER I have already cleaned up the dishes from supper and sat down to relax.  Needless to say, I DO NOT want to get up and go to the store to get the stuff to make cookies or brownies.  With this mix, I can make plenty to have on hand and it costs about .30 cents per batch compared to $1.25-1.50 per box (depending on where you live).  The ranch dressing is a HUGE moneysaver.  The little packets of dry ranch dressing mix that you buy at the store are around $1.13 per individual packet.  Making them yourself, costs .09 cents per pack.  HELLO, that's a HUGE SAVINGS!  I don't know about you, but I would much rather have that money than give it to the grocery store.  So, I hope you love these as much as I do!!!  





Mrs. Lanham presenting the Make-A-Mix Class

Judy Corbus - IFAS Extension Agent talking with one of the class attendees




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts. Would love to hear from you! Angela