Thursday, January 24, 2013

Melt in your mouth Steak!

I LOVE a good steak!  Not just any old steak, but the kind you get at a steakhouse that is perfectly cooked and tender and melts like butter in your mouth.  Unfortunately, my household budget doesn't allow for me to go out and get a steak dinner every week so we've just been doing without.  Sure, we splurge on special occasions but sometimes, you just want a steak.  Needless to say, I wanted a steak this past weekend and my budget said "no you don't."  My budget and palate don't always see eye to eye.  So, I decided to try and make a steakhouse steak at home.  I know, that's a recipe for disaster but I have a secret.  His name is Henry Stone and he owns Stone's Meats and Catering here in Chipley.  Not only does he sell the best meat around (it's cut and processed right in his store) but he gave me some easy tips to make a melt in your mouth steak.  His first tip is to start with high quality meat (you can't make a great steak if you don't have really good, well marbled meat).  I used rib eye, mmm, mmm, good!  Second tip, DO NOT poke holes or cut into the meat to see if it's done.  (Yes, I've done that if you must know, but how was I supposed to know if it's done.)  To check on doneness (is that a word?), the firmer the steak is, the more done it is.  Who knew?  I aimed for a Medium Rare - Medium and I hit the jackpot!  Let me tell you, Outback Steakhouse ain't got nothin' on this chick!  Anyway, I completed the meal with the traditional baked potato and I cheated and bought a frozen key lime pie (less room for error that way).  I only have one problem now.  My husband knows that I can make a great steak, so how am I supposed to get taken out for dinner because I can't make it the same as the restaurant?  Maybe I should have accidentally (on purpose) messed up - 'cause now I have to do the dishes!  Darn it!  Why didn't I think of that sooner?  

Ribeye steak and baked potato = YUM!!!
Henry's Great Steak Tips
Cooking on the Grill

  1. Get the grill HOT, HOT!
  2. Rub oil on the rack to avoid sticking (do this with a towel to avoid too much smoke.)
  3. Henry does not recommend salting before cooking because the salt pulls moisture out of the meat.  Marinade is fine.  Let meat marinate for about an hour or so.  
  4. Use tongs to place meat on the grill, not a fork, because the fork will punch holes in the steak for the juice to run out.
  5. Place steak on grill (using tongs) for about 4-5 minutes on each side, cook with lid of grill down.  Try to flip steak only one time.  Check for doneness by pressing on steak.  The firmer it is, the more done it is.
  6. Remove steak from grill, cover with tinfoil and let rest for about 5 minutes or so. 
  7. Season if needed and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts. Would love to hear from you! Angela