Saturday, January 12, 2013

Redneck Hillbilly Meatloaf (Blunder)

Well, as most of you know my cooking doesn't always turn out like those wonderful recipes on The Food Network shows which is why I started this blog....to share in the triumphs and the blunders.   Last night was definitely a big time blunder.  I made a meatloaf that I've made LOTS AND LOTS of times and it always turns out perfect, but last night it couldn't even be called rustic.  Don't you love how on the food network shows, if something doesn't turn out exactly perfect and beautiful, they say "just look how rustic."  That is my new favorite expression when I'm cooking because, Hey! if it's good enough for Food Network chefs, it's good enough for me.  Anyway, I digress, back to the meatloaf.  I decided to be Miss Betty Crocker and make a meatloaf and homemade mashed potatoes for my sweet family.  I put all the ingredients together and mixed it all together in the bowl, stuck it in the oven and waited.  That's one of the things I love about making meatloaf is that you don't have to babysit it.  You can be doing other much more important things while it's cooking, like playing on Facebook and shopping on the internet (oops, did I say that?)  I meant to say stuff like cleaning, darning my husband's socks and weaving baskets (yeah, right...lol.)  So, after slaving away on the meatloaf, I did my important stuff that we talked about and the buzzer on the oven goes off and I get the meatloaf out of the oven and it was so far past rustic, I don't even know what you could call it.  Maybe hillbilly redneck?  My husband, bless his heart, ate it anyway and so did I.  The good news is that it still tasted good, especially with the homemade mashed potatoes, but it sure wasn't pretty.  It just goes to show, that even with recipes that are "tried and true," you can still have a blunder.   I still don't know why the meatloaf didn't stick together like it was supposed to (yes, I added the egg and bread crumbs), it was just one of those crazy cooking mishaps.  Oh well, Forest Gump said it best, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get."   

So, until next time, enjoy the beauty around you and laugh at the blunders, life is so much better that way.

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts. Would love to hear from you! Angela