Thursday, January 3, 2013

Holiday, Traditions and Family!

Hello out there!  I hope you all have enjoyed your holiday season with the ones that mean the most to you.  My family and I had a wonderful (yet VERY BUSY) holiday season which is why my blog has been slow the last few weeks.  It's hard to find time to write when the only time you're still is driving in the car.  I don't know about your town, but our local policemen frown on blogging and driving.  With that said, Happy New Year!  My family and I celebrated New Year' Eve in high style this year, we rented a movie, shared sparkling apple cider to toast the New Year, had popcorn and I got a kiss from my favorite date (my hubby)!   That may not sound exciting to you but for us it works and I can celebrate in my jammies!!!  We also had the traditional black-eyed peas and corn bread for good luck and boy they sure tasted good!  Hope you all have a blessed new year!

Don't forget to enjoy the beauty around you and laugh along with life's blunders, it makes life so much more enjoyable that way!


Southern Black-Eyed Peas
Ingredients
1 bag of frozen black eyed peas with green snaps
1 ham bone or may use 1 strip of bacon (I always use the bone left over from the Christmas ham)
Enough water to cover peas by about 1 inch
*Do not add salt until you have tasted the peas when they are done cooking.  The ham bone will season the peas, be careful not to over salt.

Directions
Open bag and pour peas in pot, add ham bone to center of peas (if using), add enough water to cover peas (not the ham bone).
Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for about 2 hours.  Serve with cornbread.


Southern Style Cornbread

Ingredients
1 large egg
1 1/3 cups milk OR 1 ½ cups buttermilk
¼ cup Vegetable Oil
2 cups Self-Rising Corn Meal Mix
No-Stick Cooking Spray
 
Directions
1.  HEAT oven to 450 degrees  Fahrenheit.  Coat 8-inch ovenproof skillet (I recommend an iron skillet) or 8-inch square baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.   Place iron skillet in oven 7 to 8 minutes or until hot.
2.  BEAT egg in medium bowl. Stir in milk, oil and corn meal until smooth. Batter should be creamy and pourable.   If too thick, add 1 or 2 tablespoons more milk.   Pour into prepared skillet or pan.
3.  BAKE 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts. Would love to hear from you! Angela